Monday, May 14, 2012

What is a Mother?


The dictionary defines "mother" as: bearing a relation like that of a mother, as in being the origin, source, or protector.  

I'm sure you've seen the e-mails or articles about the kindergartners who say a mom is someone who mostly cleans the house, or is the only person who knows where the scotch tape is, or was made just like them, but with bigger parts.  As Mother's Day approaches, you are affected in one way or another by a mother.  Whether it's your biological mom, your adopted mom, a mom you have recently re-connected with, or a mom who is considered your best friend.  

I've always been lucky with the parents I have grown up with.  My mom is simply amazing. As I've grown older, I realize just how much she did for us kids when we were growing up.  She was at every soccer, baseball, volleyball games and dance recitals.  She was there to help us with our homework.  She was the person I went to when something was wrong with my friends at school.  Among the many other untold stories and "hidden mom talents" she has, she is perfect in my eyes....she is everything!  

As I am approaching my own first Mother's Day (due September 30th!!), I am realizing how important a mom can be.  It's scary to know that I will soon have a child of my own and have to live up to the definition of "mom" that my own mother has set for me.  I only hope that I am half the mom that my mom was to me...I'll be in pretty good shape then! 

In honor of Mother's Day, we asked some of our staff to create their own definitions of what a mother meant to them. 

- A mother is the woman who brings you life, always there for you in times of need, and has unconditional love. She is the one who teaches you life lessons and most importantly exemplifies how to be the best mother you can be.--Jill Wyss (employee since 2010)

- A mother is a part of you.  You are made up of half of her genes and physical attributes.  It is a special bond you can only share with a parent. A mother is one person that will love you unconditionally no matter your flaws.  The person you call when you are in trouble or need advice.  A mother is the woman who will try to buy your clothes for you till you are 60 years old.  I was blessed with an amazing mother who always sees the bright side of life and lights up a room when she walks in.  She is my only mother in life and I treasure her for that every day of my life.--Ali Deering (employee since 2010)

- I think to me a mother is someone who's on your side no matter what. A person who's unique job is to take care of you. No matter how old you get, what you do, who you date, where you live, or what you break and get messy, your mom is there for it.--Kylie O'Connor (employee since 2009)

- To me a mom is more than just a person. She is someone to laugh with, cry on, and enjoy the little things in life with. Without my mom I don't know where I would be. She is my rock and I know she is always on my side through thick and thin. Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's and Mom's to be! You all have the most important job of all and I can only wait for the day I will have the honor of being a mom!--Paree Dilkes (employee since 2008)

- A mother is loving, kind, and strong and would go to the end of the earth and back to protect her children!--Kelley Collier (employee since 2006)

- A mother to me is a strong-willed woman who wants the best for her children and will do anything and everything to provide for them!--Taylor Kruse (employee since 2009)

- My definition of a mom is being there no matter what decisions are made, being strong for those who can't, giving hope to those who fear and worry, and fighting for what is right for her babies. Also, giving to those who are truly in need and sacrificing for those who are in desperate need. To sum up....my Momma Bear :)--Sam Baker (employee since 2008)

- A mother is an angel in disguise, a provider and a friend, a shoulder to lean on, and a supporter until the end.--Aubrey Jones (employee since 2011)

-A mother is hard to write a definition for, but the first things that come to my mind are they must be empathetic, strong, wise, supportive, thoughtful and a good chef! --Amber Travis (employee since 2006)
- A mother is someone who shows compassion and support in her kids. She is welcoming and shares stories or jokes to help with any issue you might be going through, whether good or bad. And of course, makes delicious dinners!--Amelia Taylor (employee since 2009)

- Mother:  the beginning of everything, the source of life.--Beth Tully (owner) 

-A mother is someone who cares and bears the weight of loved ones without being asked. --Katie Anderson (employee since 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment